FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CGA Question

• 1.  CGA Question

Posted 07-26-2022 03:12 PM
    Hello everyone,
    We have a donor who is interested in exploring the possibility of setting up a $250K CGA using credit cards.  Has anyone else encountered this and is it possible?
    Thanks!
    Tammy

------------------------------
    Tammy Cline
    Asst Director of Advancement Svcs
    The West Point Association of Graduates
    tammy.cline@WPAOG.ORG
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: CGA Question

Posted 07-26-2022 03:44 PM
    It is not going to be common at this level.  I have not seen a card that can handle a $250,000 charge.  But using a credit card generally is perfectly fine.  I've done it for $10,000 & $25,000 CGAs.

If the donor insists they can charge that amount on their card, I'd wait for the charge to go through before fully establishing the CGA.

But I would talk to your CFO first.  They might not appreciate having to pay $7,500-$10,000 in credit card fees for this much.  You might even want to ask the donor for an additional gift to cover that fee.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: CGA Question

Posted 07-26-2022 05:02 PM
    Tammy, I found the updated language and recommendations in the news CASE Global Standards - on pages 56 and 57.  The same suggestions from the 4th edition remain.  However, there is additional language suggesting much tighter scrutiny over these, including a similar caution regarding significant administrative overhead.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 4.  RE: CGA Question

Posted 07-27-2022 07:54 AM

Thank you, John!  We will definitely speak to our CFO first. I will review was the Global Standards say and share with them as well.

Tammy M. Cline

Assistant Director, Gift Policy, Processing & Reporting

West Point Association of Graduates

698 Mills Road West Point, NY 10996

Phone: 845.446.1540

Fax: 845.377.3039

WestPointAOG.org

Serving West Point and the Long Gray Line

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this email message and any attachments is confidential and the property of West Point Association of Graduates (WPAOG). This message is intended for viewing and use by the original recipients only. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication and/or its attachments is prohibited without the sender's written permission. WPAOG does not accept liability for changes to this message after it was sent or privacy violations caused by forwarding to additional parties. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this email from your computer. For additional information please refer to the privacy statement available at WestPointAOG.org.

• 5.  RE: CGA Question

Posted 07-27-2022 08:34 AM

Hi Tammy....

We have a couple of donors who charge six figures on their Amex cards (we believe to receive points).  I agree with John to wait for the charge to fully process before beginning work on the CGA.  It would also not be unusual to ask for all or part of the processing fee to be covered, though you might need to have a policy in place regarding the threshold for this ask.  When Rutgers had a gift acceptance fee we often asked corporations to cover the fee in order to provide full support to the unit, that was considered an additional gift and was part of a documented policy. 

Terry Callaghan

aaasp Executive Board

Terry Callaghan, CIMP

Associate Vice President,

Information Technology, Analytics and

Gift Processing

Rutgers University Foundation &

Office of Alumni Engagement

O: 848-932-2001

C: 908-930-7090

Terry.Callaghan@RUF.Rutgers.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE: This e-mail and any of its attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and it may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential, or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown above and delete all copies of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that you are not authorized to open, read, print, retain, copy, or disseminate this message or any part of it. Thank you for your compliance.

Rutgers University Foundation (RUF) and the Rutgers University Alumni Association (RUAA) are committed to ensuring the privacy, confidentiality, and security of our constituents of the university. We strive to comply with all state, federal and international legislation, data and privacy protection best practices, and Rutgers University data and security policies and procedures. To gain a better understanding on how we collect, process, use and protect your personal information, as well as your rights regarding your personal data, please read our Privacy Notice.

• 6.  RE: CGA Question

Posted 07-27-2022 12:08 PM

We had a similar situation with a donor paying off a seven figure pledge with six figure payments on credit card. I called, explained amex's crazy fees, and asked them to please wire instead.

Aaron Forrest CPA

Senior Director Gift and Donor Services

University of Rochester Office of Advancement

585.275.2799 | aaron.forrest@rochester.edu