FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Gift Processing Metrics and Goals

• 1.  Gift Processing Metrics and Goals

Posted 09-01-2022 08:49 AM
    Hello from Emory,

I am newer to the management of gift processing and account reconciliation and am curious what metrics folks are using to measure their teams. I know, anecdotally, processing turn time seems to have increased over the past few years, but is 3 days still the expected goal? What other ways do  you measure your teams and their output and success? Corrections? Gift volume? Modifications? We currently measure all of that, but curious what others are doing, and if they have goals around those numbers. Additionally, for any of you managing teams who perform reconciliations, what goals/metrics do you use?

Thanks so much,
    Emily Konisky
    Executive Director of Gift Operations
    Emory University

------------------------------
    Emily Konisky
    Executive Director, Gift Operations
    Emory University
    Emily.Konisky@emory.edu

• 2.  RE: Gift Processing Metrics and Goals

Posted 09-01-2022 08:59 AM
    The "standard" has been, and remains, two business days from the time of receipt in your office to the mailing of the receipt.

Note the inclusion of the phrase "your office."  Many organizations have difficulties getting outlying departments to submit gifts they receive promptly.  Although there are ways to mitigate those issues, it is not fair to penalize the Advancement Service office for something they cannot control.

FWIW, in my travels, I encounter quite a few institutions that have standards for less time.  Often I see cases where gifts received "today" before Noon are processed and receipted by "tomorrow" by Noon.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: Gift Processing Metrics and Goals

Posted 9 days ago
    Hi Emily,

Metrics we track include number of gifts processed, number of write offs, number of transfers, number of errors (errors caught this month), ​number of journals, number of funds added, number of letters created, number of VP/President custom letters (stewardship letters), total number of transactions, Error rate (# of errors/# of total transactions), number of gifts in holding, number of gifts in holding over a year hold, dollar value of gifts in holding.

Our goals are around error rate (less than 1%) and gifts in holding (goal of no gifts over a year old).

Hope this helps!

Debbie Reyna
    Director of Gift and Stewardship Services
    The University of Texas at Dallas

Deborah Reyna
    Director of Gift and Stewardship Services
    University of Texas at Dallas
    deborah.reyna@utdallas.edu