FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Goods and Services Values on Receipts

• 1.  Goods and Services Values on Receipts

Posted 24 days ago
    Hi all,

I have a pretty specific question. Our CRM software isn't able to take into account whether or not a donor has declined benefits when auto-generating a receipt. As a result we are having to manually sort and change all receipts. Is there specific language required by the IRS regarding GSV? Or would it be acceptable to simply have a value on there with an asterisk that notes if they have declined GSV the entire amount is deductible (and noting whether or not they have declined)? I haven't been able to find anything regarding specific language, so I'm not sure if this would work or not.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Valeri Estrada
    Project Manager, Philanthropy Operations
    Los Angeles Philharmonic Association
    vestrada@laphil.org
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Goods and Services Values on Receipts

Posted 24 days ago
    Specific language is outlined in IRS Publication 1771.

I have not heard of a nonprofit being "dinged" by the IRS for coming up with variations on the IRS requirements.  However, would share this publication with COunsel and have them advise you, in writing, that it is okay to do your own thing.

Then complain to your vendor about the fact they cannot comply with the IRS.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: Goods and Services Values on Receipts

Posted 24 days ago
    You have an affirmative duty to state of acting l anything was received by the donor in exchange, at least by my read. And even if your counsel was ok with this approach, you're donor's accountant might advise the donor not to rely on the receipt. I'd look for a better technical solution. 

Isaac Shalev
    Data Strategy Expert
    (917) 859-0151
    isaac@sage70.com

Autocorrect was used in composting this email, please excuse any typos