FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Higher Ed folks - how much access to your database does your shop give to Deans' offices?

• 1.  Higher Ed folks - how much access to your database does your shop give to Deans' offices?

Posted 08-30-2022 12:32 PM

Good afternoon all,

Given staffing limitations, our shop is having a discussion regarding "how locked down should we be?" How common or uncommon is it for deans' staff members to be given access to Advancement's CRM to pull their own school-specific data - gift info, records for mailing, virtually anything they might request through normal protocols, etc.

If you wouldn't mind, please let me know either way. I would also appreciate "here's why we don't" anecdotes.

Blessings to you,

Suzanne McAdams
    Samford University

------------------------------
    Suzanne McAdams
    Sr. Dir. Adv. Services and Prospect Development
    Samford University
    shmcadam@samford.edu

• 2.  RE: Higher Ed folks - how much access to your database does your shop give to Deans' offices?

Posted 08-30-2022 12:38 PM
    I advocate for read-only for gift and bio (not prospect) with a demonstrated need-to-know and a "passing grade" in training - plus a signed data use and access policy.  It sure beats having them submit reams of paper requests for information.

At Duke, we went a step further and permitted, after extensive training, some limited contact information updates to select staff.

Also, at many institutions, certain Deans and department heads maintain a prospect portfolio out of necessity (lack of MGOs).  So those folk might very well need access to the prospect module for entering contact reports.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: Higher Ed folks - how much access to your database does your shop give to Deans' offices?

Posted 08-31-2022 11:49 AM
    John - Thank you so much!

Suzanne McAdams
    Sr. Dir. Adv. Services and Prospect Development
    Samford University
    shmcadam@samford.edu