FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Ideas for Giving Society gifts

• 1.  Ideas for Giving Society gifts

Posted 08-26-2022 08:49 AM
    Hi there!

I'm looking for ideas for Giving Society gifts, particularly those on the high end for million dollar+ donors. What have you seen/done that you could suggest?  We are familiar with traditional gifts...especially looking for new, impactful, or savvy ideas. 

I know Lynne Wester shared the other day the need to move away from Giving Societies...however, our institution still has them and we will still be stewarding our million dollar+ group during this annual event. Open to new ideas or thoughts...

------------------------------
    Brooke Buttari
    Executive Director of Alumni Relations
    The American College of Financial Services
    brooke.buttari@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Ideas for Giving Society gifts

Posted 08-26-2022 08:56 AM
    I support Lynne's notions.  However, I understand that some habits are hard to break.

Do keep in mind IRS rules regarding benefits.  There is no such thing as a free lunch.  The value of a more than insubstantial benefit must be reported on a receipt.  Or, if bestowed at a subsequent date and valued at $600+, a 1099 is required.

But even if below $600, remember that donors who gave through a DAF or private foundation cannot receive a benefit - unless they qualify through personal gifts.

I suggest some sort of experiential activity, like a behind-the-scenes tour of a new building.  Or an invitation to hear a guest lecture.  Something that connects the donor to the organization but does not qualify as a tangible benefit.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: Ideas for Giving Society gifts

Posted 08-26-2022 10:01 AM
    Thanks so far. I should qualify that we do offer an annual special lecture/tour/event. I'm in total agreement with all suggestions and thinking. There is still a discussion about offering these attendees something physical/tangible...

Brooke Buttari
    Executive Director of Alumni Relations
    The American College of Financial Services
    brooke.buttari@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Ideas for Giving Society gifts

Posted 08-29-2022 10:50 AM
    Last year, we re-established our Planned Giving society and provided welcome gifts to all of our new members. 

We knew we wanted something unique that not only ties back to our University but what the local community is known for. We are associated with a Botanical Garden and our MFA program have wonderful talented artist. So we decided to have one of our Art Professors create ceramic planters and got the Botanical Gardens to provide us with succulents to put in the planters. Each member got a plant with a handmade planter and a small card that provided plant care instructions and a small bio about the Professor. 

Hope that helps!

Gizel Avina
    Assoc. Director, Gifts Accounting & Database Admin
    Claremont Graduate University
    gizel.avina@cgu.edu