FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

• 1.  Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 22 days ago

Hello,

At our shop we have some donors (less than 15) who at some point gave us credit card info through the mail or over the phone to be charged monthly. We had been storing this information in a locked up binder and then the gift processor would use the info in the binder to charge the cards each month on the appropriate dates. The donors get a tax receipt at the end of the year. I don't love the idea of keeping this credit card info in a binder and it's manual process which also creates issues. Sometimes the gift processor forgets to charge them or they are out sick that day, etc. Relatively new at this organization so I'm trying to come up with a better way to handle these.

So my question is, since we have an online giving website with the ability to setup recurring payments, can I just enter the info into our online site as a recurring payment for the donors? That way they would just be charged automatically and we wouldn't have to store the info anywhere. Or would folks here recommend that I get permission from the donors before going this route? I'd think they would be okay with this as its much safer for them to have their info stored on a secure site than having it in binder to be processed manually every month. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Tioga

------------------------------
    Tioga Anderson
    Database Administratror
    Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Hospital
    tandersontb@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 22 days ago
    I think it is best to ask.  Some donors (very few, but they exist) have issues with their credit card data being stored "in the cloud" and by a third party.

You and I know this is preferable to storing the information in hardcopy format.  However, if a donor did not initiate the transaction online, I would not assume they would be okay with the change - even though they should be :-).

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 22 days ago
    And hopefully you're using a PCI compliant device to enter those credit card numbers :) 

Many online giving pages have a backend platform to enter recurring (ours does) which we use a BlueFin device (PCI complaint) to enter.

Jeff Baynham
    Associate Vice Chancellor, Advancement Services
    NC State University
    jtbaynha@ncsu.edu

• 4.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 22 days ago
    Thanks Jeff. We actually don't have a device. We use something called Converge virtual terminal to process credit card payments that don't come in through our online site. I actually think this terminal would allow us to set up recurring payments, but it is managed by our finance office and they won't give us access to setup recurring charges.

Tioga Anderson
    Database Administratror
    tandersontb@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 22 days ago
    Thanks John. I think I will reach out to these donors then and ask if they are okay with it. Hopefully this will significantly cut the number down from 15.

Tioga Anderson
    Database Administratror
    tandersontb@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 22 days ago
    It's not PCI-compliant to use the front-end website form to enter gifts from customers. The payment gateway is intended for customers, not merchants. You need to use your virtual terminal for merchant transactions, it's not a donor permission issue. 

Thank you,
    Isaac Shalev
    Data Strategy Expert
    Sage70, Inc.
    (917) 859-0151
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a 30-minute consultation now:

• 7.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 21 days ago

Storing credit card numbers written on a piece of paper in the way you describe is naughty. Even if you have armed guards and lasers protecting that binder around the clock, you are putting your donors and the organization at risk. You should call the donors, tell them you need them to go online and setup a recurring charge, and then shred the contents of the binder. Also, never speak of it again around an auditor.

Aaron Forrest CPA

Senior Director Gift and Donor Services

University of Rochester Office of Advancement

585.275.2799 | aaron.forrest@rochester.edu

• 8.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 21 days ago
    Thanks. Aaron. I realize that it isn't a very secure way to handle things, which is why I'm trying to come up with a better solution. I agree that we should ask them to set it up online but I think I'll have a hard time convincing my bosses that we should just stop these monthly gifts if the donors don't go and set them up online after we ask. Also, I'd have to convince them to remove the ask for monthly credit card donations from all of our physical mail solicitations, and I don't think they'll go for that either. Not sure how else we can accommodate these few folks without keeping it locked up in a binder.

Tioga Anderson
    Database Administratror
    tandersontb@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Moving monthly Credit Card Charges to Online Giving Site

Posted 21 days ago
    Thanks Isaac, I didn't realize that.

Tioga Anderson
    Database Administratror