FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Paying for Tee Shots in a Golf Tournament

• 1.  Paying for Tee Shots in a Golf Tournament

Posted 6 days ago

Hello all!

We are hosting our annual golf tournament to support athletics and one of the fundraisers of the day is to have a student athlete tee off for the participating team at a cost of $20 per player.  It was inquired as to why these $20 contributions were not counted as gifts on behalf of the person paying for them since they did not get anything in return.  I contend this is a purchase of a service and, therefore, not a gift.  I'm looking for backup on this or to correct me if my interpretation is wrong.  Your experiences in situations like this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

Scott L. Billhartz '85

Director of Donor and Prospect Management

McKendree University

701 College Road

Lebanon, IL 62254

(618) 537-6869

slbillhartz@mckendree.edu

www.mckendree.edu

Forward_1_web

Providing a high quality educational experience to outstanding students.

Academic Excellence--Engagement--Responsible Citizenship--Lifelong Learning

Description: Description: McKendree-Logo-for-email-si

• 2.  RE: Paying for Tee Shots in a Golf Tournament

Posted 6 days ago
    On-the-fence.

If this was the US Open, and the tournament counted towards FedEx points, and I could ask Rory to hit my drive on a par-5 that was reachable in two, I'd agree this was a payment for a service.

But, this is none of those things.  If I was told I could make a voluntary contribution of $20 and let someone else - if I wanted - hit a drive for me, I'd think that would be considered a gift.  It would be akin to tournaments where you could make extra donations for mulligans - which others have indicated are deductible.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: Paying for Tee Shots in a Golf Tournament

Posted 6 days ago

Thank you, John, for your input.  I guess I was looking at this too narrowly.  With the opportunity to make a voluntary contribution to the program, I can see that a drive on their behalf, could be considered a gift.  However, I'm still feeling a bit quid pro quo, with the paying 'donor' now having the better chance of winning the tournament because of a probable better drive.  Seems a bit like a game of chance that nullifies a gift.  On a separate note, I was unaware that mulligans were considered a gift.

Thanks again.

Scott

• 4.  RE: Paying for Tee Shots in a Golf Tournament

Posted 6 days ago
    Isaac shared the particulars.  However, in the future, get Athletics to eliminate golf tournaments :-).

When I have performed a complete budget analysis of these things - including staff time (and overtime) and benefits - 80% lost money.  Further, you might consider whether these events bring in any new donors.

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 5.  RE: Paying for Tee Shots in a Golf Tournament

Posted 6 days ago

Thank you, both John and Isaac, for your insight into my question.  I appreciate the specific links included.  They are very helpful!

Thanks again!

Scott

Scott Billhartz

McKendree University

618-537-6869

• 6.  RE: Paying for Tee Shots in a Golf Tournament

Posted 6 days ago
    Hi Scott,

I believe that mulligans or student athletes taking shots are charitable, per advice offered by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability - see the bottom of this document: https://www.inphilanthropy.org/sites/default/files/resources/Golf%20Outings-Evangelical%20Council%20for%20Financial%20Accountability-ECFA.pdf

I am most comfortable about this conclusion when there are no real prizes at stake, and I'd feel least comfortable where there were real prizes, especially if there are prizes for winning a single hole. 

Thank you,
    Isaac Shalev
    Data Strategy Expert
    Sage70, Inc.
    (917) 859-0151
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a 30-minute consultation now: