FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Possible deletion of database records

• 1.  Possible deletion of database records

Posted 26 days ago

Hello all!

We have been approached by our database vendor (Blackbaud) that we have outgrown our current record band (up to 75,000 constituent records) and now we either need to update our contract to the next level (up to 100,000 records) or reduce the number of records we currently have.  We have never addressed the idea of constituent record deletion before and I'm more than a little uncomfortable in this process.  Is there an industry standard that any of you have used to delete records?  I understand that we would never want to delete alumni records or anyone who has made a gift to the institution.  However, I'm wondering what criteria others have used when approached by such a situation.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

Scott L. Billhartz '85

Director of Donor and Prospect Management

McKendree University

701 College Road

Lebanon, IL 62254

(618) 537-6869

slbillhartz@mckendree.edu

www.mckendree.edu

Forward_1_web

Providing a high quality educational experience to outstanding students.

Academic Excellence--Engagement--Responsible Citizenship--Lifelong Learning

Description: Description: McKendree-Logo-for-email-si

• 2.  RE: Possible deletion of database records

Posted 26 days ago
    Scott,

I have only been in my role for three years.  When we reached the 50,000 threshold a year ago, we opted to upgrade to the next level.  However, I understand that our institution has made the other choice several times in the past.

Their priorities where to eliminate:
     - friends who had never given
     - deceased parents who have never given
     - deceased alumni who had never given
     - parents over age XX who have never given
     - anyone deceased who had only given 1 gift

This time around it was perceived that we wished to grow our constituent pool rather than continue to trim.

Joel

Joel Clasemann (he, him, his)

Director of Advancement Services

jclasema@css.edu | 218-723-6479

css.edu/campaign

Confidentiality Notice: The content of this message is the proprietary and confidential property of The College of St. Scholastica, and should be treated as such. If you are not a designated recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this email or its contents is strictly prohibited. You may not review, copy or share this message; please delete this message from your system and notify me immediately by reply e-mail. Any unauthorized use or distribution of the content of this message is not permitted and may be illegal. Unless otherwise stated, opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and are not endorsed by The College.  

• 3.  RE: Possible deletion of database records

Posted 26 days ago
    The general approach to record deletion has shifted somewhat these days, as more organizations have become responsive to GDPR and more generally to data lifecycle and data privacy and minimization concerns. The guiding question is whether you have a business need for the data.

A few additional points:
    1. Do you need the data in RE? You can certainly save backups to other repositories. This may allow you to offload data from RE that you want to store, but that you do not need access to in RE
    2. A quick analysis to compare your potential deletable records vs your rate of record growth is helpful. You may find that you're growing a lot faster than any reasonable deletion will make room for. This is a common outcome in our experience.
    3. The rate of record growth is generally higher as we have gotten better at integrating more systems and we're doing more registrations of various kinds electronically. A strong practice of purging not-so-useful records collected from webinars and the like, and of deduplicating is required to keep record growth under control.

Thank you,
    Isaac Shalev
    Data Strategy Expert
    Sage70, Inc.
    (917) 859-0151
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a 30-minute consultation now: