FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

should this gift get the Annual Appeal Code

• 1.  should this gift get the Annual Appeal Code

Posted 5 days ago
    An occasional donor is starting an endowed scholarship with $25K (the minimum to start one) in honor of his parents. There is already one in the grandparents' names. Our current Annual Fund appeal isn't doing very well, and some in the office want to assign the AF Appeal Code to this gift. To be fair, the donor did receive this appeal in the mail, but it would have been within a very few days of the donor notifying us of his intention to fund a scholarship. When he received a thank-you phone call, he was asked if he had received the Appeal in the mail (he had), and that is why I'm supposed to assign the AF Appeal to this gift. This just feels wrong to me, and I'm not chuffed with the ideal of making the Appeal look as if it did much better than it actually did. There has been no Solicitor involved, no one asked him to fund the scholarship. In your shop, are Appeal Codes simply assigned "to the area of greatest need?"

------------------------------
    Sherrel Battles
    Data Resource Coordinator
    Christian Theological Seminary
    sbattles@cts.edu

• 2.  RE: should this gift get the Annual Appeal Code

Posted 5 days ago
    This feels disingenuous.  Bordering on unethical.

If the donor had been asked, "Did you make the gift now because of the appeal," and they had responded yes, then I would feel differently.

But let's not make things up to make an appeal look better.  Honestly, we use appeal codes to track the performance of appeals.  If this appeal is not doing well, okay.  Learn from that and try to avoid the timing or tone of the appeal.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: should this gift get the Annual Appeal Code

Posted 4 days ago
    I am with @John H. Taylor on this.  Adding this appeal code to this gift is misleading, as it will possibly artificially inflate the performance of the appeal.  The fact that this is done intentionally is egregiously disingenuous and inauthentic. Unfortunately, the gift will not fix the fact that the appeal may not be performing well, and if personnel decisions are made of the performance of the appeal, it can lead to pressure to make decisions like these. 

Dariel Dixon
    Manager of Gifts and Records
    North Carolina Central University
    ddixon62@nccu.edu

• 4.  RE: should this gift get the Annual Appeal Code

Posted 3 days ago

Are folks ever counting endowment gifts toward annual fund operating cash? We do not do that.

Aaron Forrest CPA

Senior Director Gift and Donor Services

University of Rochester Office of Advancement

585.275.2799 | aaron.forrest@rochester.edu

• 5.  RE: should this gift get the Annual Appeal Code

Posted 3 days ago
    When I was at Duke (25 years ago), we had to "Annual Fund Endowments."  These were multi-million dollar endowments established by donors to throw off earnings annually to the Annual Fund.

When these were established, they were correctly counted and reported as endowment gifts.

The annual earnings credited to the annual fund were never counted.

However, internally, when we set annual goals for the annual fund, we always had two line items: 1) New outright gifts to the annual fund; 2) Earnings from the annual fund endowments.

At no time were the earnings counted in annual or campaign totals.  However, the two line items were shared with the Board.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 6.  RE: should this gift get the Annual Appeal Code

Posted 5 days ago
    Hi Sherrel, 

Some organizations do have a rule that white mail is assigned an appeal code for the last appeal the donor received. If your organization does this, I could see more of an argument for treating this gift the same way. 

Thank you,
    Isaac Shalev
    Data Strategy Expert
    Sage70, Inc.
    (917) 859-0151
    isaac@sage70.com

Schedule a 30-minute consultation now: