FundSvcs Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

"Unclaimed" Auction item

• 1.  "Unclaimed" Auction item

Posted 14 days ago
    Good afternoon,

We have a donor who states they never 'claimed' an auctioned trip they purchased at one of our events back in February 2019, and he want us to write a letter stating this fact.  The trip was auctioned for $32,000 with a FMV of $25,000, so this is a considerable amount, and he's a donor with more potential.
    1. I know he received the auction packet with all the information, so to our purposes he took possession of the item.  It is his responsibility to contact the travel company within a certain time frame to make the arrangements. 
    2. I could contact that travel company to investigate if he used the trip or not, however, I don't believe this is my responsibility.
    3. Even if I could confirm he did not use the trip, can I legally give him this letter?  
    4. Finally, we do state "All Sales Final" on our event auction bid cards and program.
    Is there a precedence for this type of situation?  

Thank you,

Shaun Field 

Director Data Services 

1201 W La Veta Ave  |  Orange, CA 92868 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    This email message and any files transmitted are sent with confidentiality in mind and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify Children's Hospital of Orange County. Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Children's Hospital of Orange County. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. We do not guarantee that this material is free from viruses or any other defects although due care has been taken to minimize the risk.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: "Unclaimed" Auction item

Posted 14 days ago
    As with all charitable donations and associated benefits, the donor still "received" the benefit regardless of whether they chose to use it.

Your point #1 is key.  It is not your responsibility to pursue or pester the donor to use whatever benefit they acquired.  Your involvement truly ended when you sent them the certificate.

At that point, the use or non-use of the benefit is between the donor and the travel agency.  They should contact that agency to obtain whatever letter they believe is necessary.

John

John H. Taylor
    Principal
    John H. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    2604 Sevier St.
    Durham, NC   27705
    919.816.5903 (cell/text)

Serving the Advancement Community Since 1987

• 3.  RE: "Unclaimed" Auction item

Posted 14 days ago
    Thank you, John.  I appreciate your response!

Shaun Field 

Director Data Services 

1201 W La Veta Ave  |  Orange, CA 92868